Whenever I make pasta, I have to make a salad to go with it. So to accompany my Fettuccine Bolognese, I wanted to make something equally wholesome. I found this recipe, originally from Bon Appétit May 2008, on epicurious.com.
We all know that fruits and vegetables taste the best and are the most affordable when they’re in season. Since mangos are abundant now, this is the perfect springtime take on the Caprese salad. The basil vinaigrette is so delightful; I will make it again and again. And as spring turns into summer, I look forward to making it with farm fresh heirloom tomatoes instead!
Mango-Radicchio Caprese with Basil Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil plus 8 whole large basil leaves
- 3 tabs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 8 radicchio leaves, thick ends trimmed
- 2 large mangoes, peeled, halved, thinly sliced
- 8 1/4-inch-thick slices fresh mozzarella cheese (from one 8-ounce ball)
Blend chopped basil, oil, and vinegar in food processor until most of basil is pureed. Season with salt and pepper.
Overlap radicchio, mangoes, cheese, and basil leaves on plates. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve, passing remaining vinaigrette.